Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Power of the Tongue

“I tell you, on the Day of Judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matthew 12:36-37
Last week Pastor Robert’s sermon was about WORDS. How words cost, words hurt, and words last. The scripture from Proverbs 26:18-19 really convicted me and made me think. It says, “Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, ‘I am only joking!’”
The Lie is that words hurt unless you are joking. This is nonsense; there is always some truth to what is being said sarcastically. What comes out of our mouth is the fruit of what is root in our heart. This is why we need to be careful in what we say. What is the root of what you are saying? If what you say is sarcastic then there is a bad root within your heart that needs to be dealt with.
The only way to deal with bad fruit (words) is to go to the root and cut it off by repenting and forgiving. You can never take back the words that come out of your mouth but God does bring forgiveness. Instead of carelessly running my mouth, this sermon has challenged me to really examine my heart for bad roots and to really think about what I say before speaking. I want my tongue to speak life not death.
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.” Proverbs 18:21

No comments:

Post a Comment